Selling players can be a good way to fund squad overhauls, but of course clubs don’t want to be pushed around by richer teams in the transfer market.
We’ve already covered Everton’s record transfer incomings here, and now it’s time to take a look at the biggest transfer fees they’ve raised by selling players.
The biggest incomings all arrived in 2014 or later, but there is a greater spread with the outgoings.
- Romelu Lukaku – £76 million
- John Stones – £50 million
- Wayne Rooney – £33 million
- Marouane Fellaini – £29 million
- Idrissa Gueye – £27 million
- Joleon Lescott – £25 million
- Ademola Lookman – £16 million
- Ross Barkley – £15 million
- Nikola Vlasic and Francis Jeffers – £14 million
- Jack Rodwell – £13.5 million
Lukaku was third on the list of record signings, and Everton made a huge profit on that initial investment.
MORE EVERTON STORIES
It has been a big week for the top three names on the list.
Lukaku won the Serie A title with Inter, Stones won another Premier League with Manchester City and Rooney guided Derby to Championship survival from the dugout.
All of the top four sales were to Manchester clubs – three to United and one to City – but those clubs cannot bully Everton in the transfer market these days and it would be a surprise to see any current Toffees head there this summer.
Nigel Martyn speaking to Everton News: Archive